As soon as the phone rang, Harmony knew who it was. So she hit mute and went back to watching tv. A few minutes later the phone rang again. This time she looked at it to be sure and as soon as she saw the familiar number she hit mute again.
Why is she even calling me? She wanted me out, so what’s the problem?
Harmony Wray was raised by her maternal grandparents because her parents died young. One would think that being orphaned as a child would garner some sympathy from your own flesh and blood. But that wasn't the case in Harmony’s situation. No, Esther, Harmony’s grandmother, was a mean woman in her youth and age didn't help her condition. For years, Esther compared Harmony to her “good for nothing” mother Sadie. Harmony could hear Esther’s screeches as if she’d never left the apartment.
“You’re lazy just like ya stinking mother. She was so ungrateful and refused to help around the house. Heifer!”
What could Harmony say in response to that? Nothing. At least not out loud. She didn't remember her mother being lazy. In all reality, she didn't remember anything about her mother. As a child, not knowing who her mother was really bothered her. But as a young adult, she didn't care anymore. It would take too much out of her to start caring now. So she didn't bother.
The phone buzzed again.
“Hello?” Harmony rolled her eyes at the sound of Esther’s voice.
“Hello child.” Esther rarely, if ever, referred to Harmony by her name.
“What’s up?” Harmony didn't have time for the pleasantries, she was still pissed at being kicked out of her grandparents’ house.
“What’s up? Who do you think you talking to girl? I'm NOT one of your lil floozy friends!"
"I'm sorry Momma, you caught me at a bad time." Harmony cut into Esther's tirade.
"Hmph. Bad time? If you want to know about a bad time, I'll tell you about a bad time. Your grandfather over here refusing to turn on the air conditioning complaining about the electric bill. Now THAT'S a bad time in all this heat."
Harmony sighed resigning herself to the fact that she'd have to play along if Esther was gonna get to her point some time this year.
"Like I said, I'm sorry. Is everything all right over there?"
"Yes, we're alright. Can't complain, really. I was actually calling you to see how you're doing."
Really? Why would you care where I'm at? You didn't seem to care when you were telling me to pack my crap.
"I'm fine."
"You sure, child?"
"Yes Momma."
"Well where are you?"
Harmony wasn't about to feed into her grandmother's need to know everyone's business. No, now that she was finally free from Esther's grasp, Harmony was determined to stay free.
"I'm home Momma and well like I said before, I was in the middle of doing something. So I mean, unless you need something..." Harmony trailed off.
"Oh, well, you know your old grandparents could always use a few dollars."
And there it was...the real reason for Esther's call besides wanting to get into Harmony's business. Esther wanted in to the young girl's pockets.
"Momma, ya know I had to leave my part time job when I left. And I haven't found anything else yet. So, sorry but I don't have anything to give."
"Yea ok. Hmph I shouldn't be surprised, ya mother never helped ya grandpa and I out either. The apple don't fall far..."
"Ok, well I'll talk to ya lata Momma." Without waiting for a response, Harmony disconnected the call.
As short as the call was, Harmony felt drained. No matter what, according to Esther she was a screw up. Nothing and nobody could please that woman. And the nerve of her calling to get information and money out of Harmony. Granted the woman had cared for her only child's illegitimate daughter almost from the first day Harmony came home from the hospital. But still, Esther's mean ways just pushed Harmony further away from her.
The next morning, Harmony decided to go out and explore the town a bit. Since her arrival, a couple of weeks ago, she hadn't taken time to do more than find a place to live and set it up with a few cheap items. Her grandmother's call the previous night, reminded Harmony that she was in this town to stay so she might as well get out and make the most of it.
She asked the cab driver to take her "downtown" and she was pleasantly surprised at how low key the area was. She stopped into the town's bookstore and picked up a book on home improvements. Harmony was always handy and enjoyed helping her Pop Pop to repair and upgrade fixtures around her grandparents' place.
After leaving her grandparent's apartment, Harmony had no where to go, so she went to the local social service office, which referred her to a youth shelter. She stayed there for a couple of days before her case worker told her about a house for rent. The worker was upfront about the house being a bit run down, but Harmony had no other options so she happily accepted it. Now that she was getting settled, she figured she could study up on home repairs.
She'd been reading for a good little while when she heard footsteps approaching. Without looking up, Harmony could tell that it was a man. Sneaking a peripheral glance, she could tell that he was kind of cute.
I hope he keeps on walking. I'm not in the mood for any nonsense.
But as he came closer, she knew he intended to say something.
Don was taking his daily stroll around town when he stumbled on a new pretty face. Now who's this? I've never seen her before. By the looks of that finger, she's single. Hmmm
Harmony sighed loud enough for the stranger to hear, but as he made his way over to the bench, it didn't seem to phase him.
"Is this seat taken?"
He knows damn well I'm sitting here alone.
"No." Harmony thought that if she kept her answers brief and kept reading the guy would get the hint.
"Ahhhh. It sure is a beautiful day out here." Don said getting comfortable next to the beautiful young woman.
"Mmm." Somebody can't take a hint.
So she wants to play, huh? Well, she's met the right one. Don thought as he eased into player mode.
"What ya reading?"
"Um, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days." Harmony threw out a bigger hint since this guy was persistent.
"Oh really? Why would a woman want to read something like that?"
Harmony glanced up at to see the guy smirking at her.
"Maybe, because she's not interested in a relationship."
"Well that sounds perfect to me." Don chuckled.
Don eyed the young woman fantasizing about all the things they could do together.
Harmony finally looked up from the book since it didn't seem like she'd be getting much reading done.
"Is that so? Let me guess, you're a playboy."
"I've been called worse."
"I'm sure you have."
"So you new to town, huh?" Don said more like a statement.
"You could say that. I've been here for awhile but decided to check out the sites today."
"You can't see much of what we have to offer from here. And with your nose in that thing." Don pointed at Harmony's book.
A smile crept across Harmony's lips.
"Ah, and she's even more beautiful when she smiles."
Harmony rolls her eyes at his last comment. She's dealt with enough guys to know that this loser wasn't someone she should give any hope. So she shrugged her shoulders and picked up her book again.
Don was befuddled, he thought he'd finally gotten her attention. But it seems his compliment turned her off.
But women LOVE compliments.
Eyeing another prospective catch, Don eases up off of the bench. "Well, it seems that book's got all your attention. So I guess I'll keep it moving."
Although it was clear that this guy was a "love 'em and leave 'em type" Harmony was glad for attention from someone. She looked up about to say something when she realized what had caught his attention.
And she was offended, sure she wasn't surprised that this playboy was so easily distracted by another woman. But there's no way, she'd let an old hag like the one he was sauntering over to distract him from her.
"Say, you never told me your name. That's kind of rude."
"Rude? Really? The woman who ignored me for a book calls me rude?"
They both chuckled at his comment.
"The name's Don. Don Lothario." Harmony smiled to herself when Don sauntered back in her direction. She felt like she'd won a small victory.
"Don. That's original."
"And you are...?"
"Harmony. Harmony Wray."
Don took Harmony's hand in his and kissed the back of it.
"A beautiful name for a beautiful young woman."
Harmony couldn't help but blush. Don was a bit on the sleazy side, but he was cute. Not to mention it'd been ages since Harmony had any physical contact with the opposite sex.
"Such a charming playboy."
Don grinned from ear to ear. I know I've got her hook line and sinker. The slightest hint of competition and a woman can't stand it. And they call us guys competitive.
The two of them chatted for what seemed like hours getting to know each other and playfully flirting.
"HA!" Don was surprised that Harmony was able to make him literally laugh out loud. It was odd, she reminded him a lot of himself. Sure he knew she was definitely attracted to him and he was attracted to her, but there was something different about Harmony.
She spoke her mind, that's for sure and she didn't seem to have much of a filter. Just like him. She was also a flirt, which peaked his interest. Don knew he'd have fun getting to know this one.
"Listen Harmony, I'm really glad I came down here and ran into you. Although you did give me a hard time." Don said laying on the charm.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't try to play me Don. I can see through your tricks. You thought I'd be an easy lay, that's the only reason you came over to me."
Again Don laughed, he really liked her blunt nature. "Alright, maybe you're on to me. But I am being serious when I say I'm glad I met you. There's nobody around town like you, that's for sure. And I'd really like to spend more time with you. Do you think we could hang out some time?"
Harmony didn't have many friends back home and she certainly didn't know anyone else in this new town.
"I think I'd like that. Let's exchange numbers."
A girl after my own heart. Don thought. Some of these other chicks woulda wanted me to take their number. Yeah, I'm going to enjoy myself some of Ms. Harmony.
Before going to bed that evening, Harmony reclined on the bed to study some more. Her mind kept going back to her encounter with Don earlier. She knew nothing would come of the situation, except maybe a friendship. But she found herself having a little hope that life would finally be normal for her.
I'm finally out on my own, without Momma's nagging and Pop Pop's moping. No annoying neighbors always trying to be up in the business. No, this is a new start for me. Maybe I'll finally get the life that I've always wanted. The one I've always dreamed of.
Harmony closed her eyes and could see herself with a handsome older guy with lots of money. Maybe they'd have a kid or two. But the most important thing is she'd be loved and taken care of.
Harmony opened her eyes. Yeah, that's the life I deserve.
She smirked to herself before closing her book and curling up to go to sleep.
__________________________________________________________________

























No comments:
Post a Comment